Our specialized team focuses on providing legal solutions to the key players in business aviation, and we are fully equipped to cover all issues and areas of the aviation industry.
Our clients, including leading entrepreneurs, financial institutions, private and public companies, have acquired interests in a variety of corporate and executive aircraft. We also advise operators, brokers and insurance companies in all types of queries they may have in connection with their business aviation activities.
Our business aviation lawyers have broad experience representing virtually every segment of the industry and can draw on the broad legal resources within our firm, from regulatory specialists to tax lawyers, to address any legal concern unique to business aviation operations.
Our firm has assisted its clients with regard to legal issues in the following areas:
- Cross-border acquisition of business aircraft from the manufacturer, dealer or owner, as well as subsequent sale;
- Aircraft financing;
- Establishment of international corporate structures for the ownership and operations of business aircraft to reduce liability exposure and comply with all applicable regulations;
- Registration of aircraft and mortgages in the relevant registries;
- Aircraft management, operations, maintenance and support;
- Aircraft interior completion projects;
- Charter and lease transactions;
- Tax and VAT advice (e.g. on operations, import and export, maintenance) and negotiations with the relevant tax authorities;
- Aviation insurance;
- Regulatory aspects of aviation activities in Switzerland;
- Warranty and liability litigation;
- Aircraft repossession.
Our experience includes:
- Acting on behalf of numerous owners, financial institutions or operators in the sale, purchase or financing of business aircraft, such as BBJ 787, Gulfstream G650, Bombardier Global 7000, Dassault Falcon 8X and more, from virtually all manufacturers;
- Representation in insurance and litigation matters, where we have advised public authorities and insurance companies in connection with several mid-air collisions. In particular, our firm was appointed by Skyguide and its insurer AXA Winterthur following the Überlingen mid-air collision;
- Counsel to Business Aviation operator and their insurers in relation to an aircraft accident in France;
- Counsel to clients in setting their aircraft into operational condition in Switzerland, including importation into Switzerland, negotiations with the operator and tax advice with respect to the aircraft's charters operations;
- Lead counsel to UHNW clients on the aircraft holding structure and the entire range of legal aspects, including the negotiations of the purchase and management agreements, customs duties in Switzerland and the EU and regulatory requirements;
- Counsel to a major Swiss operator in the purchase of business aircraft and the conclusion of various agreements for the financing and operation of the aircraft, including loan, mortgage and charter agreements;
- Counsel to the owners of a fleet of aircraft on the restructuring of their fleet, including the change of registration of certain aircraft, reorganization of the operator and adaptation of the holding structure considering the worldwide operations of the owners.