We are involved in all sectors of the construction industry, including infrastructure, energy and real estate; our reach extends to every type of construction project and delivery method and our service includes advice on construction finance, insolvencies, insurance contracts, and claims analysis and negotiation.
Schellenberg Wittmer’s Construction Group regularly advises domestic and international clients in a wide array of non-contentious construction matters, including:
- Negotiating and drafting total and general work contracts, as well as architect and engineering and project management contracts;
- PFI/PPP work for hospitals, schools, roads, railways, airports, bridges, and tunnels;
- Construction contract management;
- Construction planning and development for commercial offices, residential and industrial premises, shopping centers, and other projects.
In addition to non-contentious work, we advise clients and act as counsel in disputes involving parties from around the world in a variety of matters, including:
- Adjudication, conciliation, mediation and dispute board proceedings pertaining to major international construction and engineering projects;
- Domestic and international litigation of construction and engineering disputes;
- Domestic and international arbitration proceedings concerning disputes in major construction and engineering projects;
- Plant engineering and construction disputes, in particular regarding power plant projects; and
- PFI/PPP disputes in various sectors such as hospitals, schools, roads, railways, airports, bridges, and tunnels;
- Litigation of planning and building permit disputes;
- Litigation of contractor’s liens;
- Furthermore, members of our team also regularly serve as arbitrators in construction disputes.
Our Construction Group has experience with matters governed by a wide range of national laws including Swiss, Austrian, French, German, English, Dubai, UAE, Turkish, Hungarian and Swedish. We also provide expertise in standard contract forms and international principles of construction and engineering law.
Our experience includes:
- Counsel to an international real estate developer for the drafting, negotiation and signing of a design and supervision consultancy service for a residential 60 floor tower development in Dubai;
- Representation of a large Middle Eastern construction company in an ICC arbitration relating to the termination of a subcontract for works relating to the construction of an international airport in the Middle East;
- Counsel to Rockspring Property Investment Managers LLP in the negotiation, drafting and signing of a general work contract for the construction of a major industrial development in Geneva;
- Representation of a UAE based joint venture against a UAE entity in a construction arbitration under the arbitration rules of the Dubai Municipality;
- Lead counsel to a large German multi-national in a dispute with a construction company over a high-volume construction contract;
- Counsel to the German subsidiary of a large Italian conglomerate, specialized in engineering and producing solutions and equipment for the energy and mining industry in arbitration against a Russian entity;
- Counsel to a major Swiss total and general contractor in a court dispute with a sub-contractor concerning façade defects of a landmark office building in Geneva;
- Counsel to Hôtel Beaulac SA/AIC Holding Sàrl in the negotiating and signing of the architect agreement, interior design agreement, work contracts as well as the loan agreement for the construction of a landmark rooftop bar and lounge.